BAMBOO RUSH DESIGN 2020
Deadline for applications: 20 May 2020.
Deadline for project delivery: 31 August 2020.
International Contest for the design and creation of an innovative design object with bamboo- third edition
The Labirinto della Masone, under the patronage of ADI (Association for Industrial Design) and AIB (Italian Bamboo Association), on the occasion of “Under the bamboo tree” – two days fully dedicated to bamboo that took place on 4 and 5 October 2019 – lauched the third edition of the international contest for the
design and creation of an innovative design object with bamboo.
With this contest, the Labirinto della Masone – which is the largest one in the world and is entirely made of around twenty different species of bamboo – aims at focusing the attention on this extraordinary and elegant plant, with many virtues and just recently discovered in Italy.
The contest aims to highlight the value of bamboo in achieving international political objectives, including the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the commitments under the Paris Agreement on climate change by promoting the use of bamboo for the design of everyday objects.
The contest aims at promoting the use of bamboo, by giving relevance to items for home or public spaces or structures such as coverings or galleries. The project shall have to enhance both the technical and aesthetic properties and the expressive potential of bamboo while at the same time enabling subsequent mass-production. The evaluation criteria will therefore take into account any technological innovations, including related to the possible production cycle of the object and the strategy to minimize its impact on the environment.
It is an international contest, which gives the possibility to particpate both to students that are regularly enrolled in high schools specializing in graphics, furniture, design, architecture or design faculties, PhDs, masters and equivalent courses and to designers, architects as well as to graduate employees working in the industry of design, artists, and creatives, thanks to the division in two categories, junior and senior.
The deadline for entry to the competition is 20 May 2020.
The award-winning entrants will be announced on the website, by October 2020.
The award ceremony will take place at Labirinto della Masone during the fifth edition of the “Under the Bamboo Tree” cultural event, to be held on October 10 and 11, 2020.
+39 0521 827081
The designed object must enhance the intrinsic characteristics of bamboo. The choice of the object to be designed is at the discretion of the entrants.
By way of example: items for home, offices, commercial buildings, schools, hospitals and other public spaces such as:
• Furniture and home decor accessories
• Kitchen and table items
• Coverings for walls, floors, partitions, doors, etc.
• Functional elements such as radiators, lamps, lighting systems, switches, etc.
• Technical elements such as handles, handrails, taps, plates, etc.• Structures such as roofings, galleries, etc.
The object can be executed by combining different materials, anyway the parts made in bamboo shall have to be predominant in its construction. The project shall have to enhance both the technical and aesthetic properties and the expressive potential of bamboo while at the same time enabling subsequent mass-production. The evaluation criteria will therefore take into account any technological innovations, including related to the possible production cycle of the object and the strategy to minimize its impact on the environment. The purpose shall not be the creation of ethnic items.
HOW TO ENTER
The contest is divided into two categories:
• Junior catering to students that are regularly enrolled in high schools specializing in graphics, furniture, design, architecture or design faculties, PhDs, masters and equivalent courses.
• Senior catering to designers, architects as well as to graduate employees working in the industry of design, artists, and creatives.
For both categories, joint applications of group of participants will be admitted.
An entry fee is required:
• 30 euros for members of the junior category.
• 60 euros for members of the senior category.
The entry fee shall be paid for each project and shall have to be paid by May 20, 2020 to the account of the Franco Maria Ricci Foundation.
The entrant shall have to send the following attachments to the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org:
• Receipt of the bank account
• Valid ID or identification document
• Contest entry form and personal data processing form (annex 1) fully filled out and signed. The form can be downloaded from www.labirintodifrancomariaricci.it, BambooRush Design Contest. In the event that the project has been developed by a group of entrants, each entrant shall have to fill out an entry form;
• Proof of school enrolment document (for junior category only)
The entrant shall have to indicate full Name of Entrant (or Group Leader)_ Entry _BambooRush Design 2020 as the subject of the e-mail.
In the event that the project has been developed by a group of entrants, the group leader shall send a single e-mail including all entry forms and other documents necessary for the entry of all participants.
After May 20, 2020 (deadline for entry to the competition) all regularly registered entrants will receive instructions via email about how to submit the necessary documentation and the projects shall be delivered no later than August 31, 2020. The material to be submitted is as follows:
• A vertical A1-format table representing the summary of the project. The table shall have to be submitted in high resolution and in PDF or JPG format.
• A project report specifying the technical reasons for the use of bamboo and any in-depth information about the project to support the summary table. The document shall have to be submitted in PDF format.
Submission of a prototype of the project is welcome, but not mandatory.
Any prototypes submitted by entrants to be shown to the jury may be sent, after prior communication via e-mail, to the postal address of the Masone Labyrinth:
BambooRush Design Competition – PROTOTYPE
Franco Maria Ricci Foundation c/o Labirinto della Masone
Strada Masone 121
43012 Fontanellato, Parma
The prototype submission closes by August 31, 2020.
Franco Maria Ricci, publisher and graphic designer;
Lorenzo Bar, president of AIB (Bamboo Italian Association)
Renato Bruni, Scientific director of Orto Botanico in Parma
Mauricio Cardenas, architect and scientific director of UTBT 2020
Valentina Downey, president of ADI (Association for industrial Design) Emilia-Romagna
Stefano Faravelli, Naturalist painter
Marta Santacatterina, Journalist, design expert
Entries will remain anonymous and they will be judged by the judging committee on the following criteria:
• consistency with respect to the theme and general impression;
• communication effectiveness and originality;
• technological innovation;
• use of strategies to minimise environmental impact.
The award-winning entrants will be contacted via e-mail by the organization and subsequently announced on the website, by October 2020.
The awards will be as follows:
• Junior section: 1,000 euros in the form of a cheque (before tax)
• Senior section: 2,500 euros in the form of a cheque (before tax)
The award ceremony will take place at the Masone Labyrinth during the fifth edition of the “Under the Bamboo Tree” cultural event, to be held on October 10 and 11, 2020.
The selected works will be exhibited in a temporary exhibition dedicated to the Award, which will be held at the Masone Labyrinth and will be inaugurated on the occasion of the cultural event “Under the Bamboo Tree”. The costs for printing the tables in A1 format as well as set-up, dismantling, security service, and insurance costs shall be borne by the Organization.
The authors of the works will remain the sole owners of the intellectual property rights on the submitted works.
The authors, by joining the competition, expressly authorize the Award Association and its legal representative, to process their personal data transmitted under Law 675/96 (Privacy Law) as amended by Legislative Decree 196/2003 (Privacy Code), also for the purpose of entering them into databases managed by the Association itself.
Entrants grant the Award Association free copyrights to reproduce their own works, for the sole purpose of any publication on the Award’s website and other forms of communication, promotion and activity of the Association itself.
Entrants who do not wish to appear with their works on the Award’s website shall have to declare it upon entry.
The organizers of the contest will have the right to a final decision on everything being not specified in this notice. The organisation reserves the right to make changes to the notice if the need arises.